NABJ is stronger than ever. After facing a $400,000 deficit in 2015, NABJ ended 2016 with a $1,000,000 surplus. As a member of the executive board we made some tough, sometimes unpopular decisions to return this organization to financial stability. It’s important we stay the course, which is just one reason I’m running for reelection.
Below are a few of my achievements and future goals.
- Secured VICE Media as a new recruiter at NABJ Jobs Fair.
- Hosted webinar with VICE to expose more members to company. VICE manager asked for resumes. Our members responded.
- Created first ever Producers Database for digital, TV, radio, podcast and content producers. It will include reels, resumes and references that will be sent to media managers. This model will be used to create an Editors Databases for print members as well.
- Helped produce cable news contributors’ list to showcase academia members.
- Led negotiations with NBC to establish joint task force to address hiring, retention and promotion issues. Similar programs will be created at other networks.
- Met with top managers to discuss diversity concerns at CBS, NBC, CNN, Tribune Media and NBC Boston.
- Co-produced joint NABJ Financial Media Institute and Region II conference raising nearly $50,000.
- Secured Uber Ride Sharing partnership that provided $50,000 in organization support, which included $10 discount rides to NABJ/NAHJ members.
- Secured $6,500 donation from Gift of Hope to co-sponsor 2017 Hall of Fame Luncheon.
Future Goals: Implement NABJ Strategic Plan
- Develop learning labs with digital partners
- Recruit new members, especially in digital and PR
- Expand training to attract mid-career and displaced journalists
- Expand journalists job-search services
- Increase partner sponsored skill training programs
I’d appreciate your support so I can continue to serve.